Monday, May 18, 2009

RC Antenna Replacement Resources

RC Antenna Replacement Resources

I have replaced my antenna probably 2 or 3 times at this point and never really had a problem previously, because I had it written down before. This little issue just recently reared it ugly little head during what should have been a routine antenna replacement on the Ultra-Pede. This last time I sheared off my antenna on the Ultra-Pede I had the craziest time finding the right length. Problem is the wire length I was using didn't work right.

Antenna Length Calculator if you so inclined (using this just tended to aggravate me)- Tamiya Antenna Length Calculator Calculate the exact "usable" antenna length for optimal reception. Usable antenna length does not include the approximate 1" of antenna that runs from the entry point into the receiver to the solder point. The general rule is 27 inches of wire for 27 MHz. If you're receiver operates in the 75 MHz range, you'll want to use around 20 inches. Don't forget to add about 1" for mounting. Go about an inch longer initially than you need then trim back to length after soldering and remounting the receiver.

For example my "Traxxas Red" 27.045Mhz chip set the optimal (usable) receiver aerial wire lengths should be:

138.56cm 54.551 Inch OR
69.28cm 27.2755 Inch OR
34.64cm 13.638 Inch OR
17.32cm 6.81889 Inch

Please note: The longer the aerial wire the better the reception (in theory).

Google - Find a Metric to English Converter or use this one.

but it didn't work right, so I started with a 55" antenna and started trimming 1/4" at a time.

What I found was a 22 3/4"-23" antenna wire worked correctly measured from the edge of the receiver. Note install the new antenna, then trim to length.

Post problem resolution, I measured two new different chipped Traxxas receivers (one from my TQ3 purchase and one from my newly acquired Rusty) they ranged from 22 3/4" - 23" from the edge of the receiver is the rule for stock antenna length so I would use those numbers as a starting point. I would also recommend buying "antenna wire". Seems that a different gauge of wire can also make things a little wacky.

If you seem to eat antennas on a regular consider an internal antenna such as this although I haven't had much luck with internal antennas. Everyone says they don't affect your range, but I am either doing it wrong or their statement is incorrect. According to this site modification of your antenna of any kind affects its use.

Here are the links you need which will provide you with a variety of opinions. Some I found don't seem to work although logical. Make it easy, measure you antenna length and write it with a permanent marker on the receiver. That way if you shear off an antenna, you can just cut a new one and re-attach it. What I found was a 22 3/4"-23" antenna wire worked correctly.

Spektrum 2.4Ghz systems - At some point you will get ticked enough and spring for a 2.4Ghz transmitter and receiver. Spektrum is the obvious answer, however there are other options. Traxxas is supposed to have a 4-channel 2.4Ghz setup by spring of 2009 and would make the below Squirt-Pede a ton-o-fun, and the often ebay'ed Losi DSM 2.4 gHz Transmitter & Receiver (expect about $50-$60) is Spektrum compatible and worth every stinking penny for that price. I promise you that 2.4Ghz is THE way to go for a transmitter.

No comments: