Monday, May 18, 2009

A Decent ESC electronic speed control

A Decent ESC electronic speed control - Yes, the ESC model comes ready to run with an Electronic Speed Control, but it limits you to only "17 Turn" motors and above, however I think it's more like 19 Turn +(Exception - See XL-1 electrical upgrade below). I know people that have run 17T motors on the Traxxas XL-1 ESC, I am one of those people, but without my upgrade it is typically a short lived adventure. 159161

Good choices are the new Traxxas XL-10 which I have heard good things about, the DuraTrax IntelliSpeed 12T Modified Reverse ESC (about $65), DuraTrax IntelliSpeed 8T Modified Reverse ESC (about $80) or spring for everything you will ever need - the Novac Super Rooster ($125) - discontinued but now there is something new and improved. The Xtra Quake
Car ESC FWD/BK/REV - No Motor Limit for $80 has been highly rated on some forums. The Tazer 15Turn ESC for $29.99 has also been rated well for the price. I currently have Novac Rooster and love it. It limits me to 15 turns, but it is virtually impossible to gear the Stampede with less than a 13 turn motor, so who cares. And I am happy with the Titanite 15T Motor. As a general rule - The better the quality of ESC and the lower the motor turn limit of the ESC the more punch the motor will have with any given motor. As a general rule buy a ESC with 2-3 motor turn limit less than the lowest turn motor you will intend to ever use. For the Stampede, a 14 Turn motor is the lower limit of what is recommended. Pictured is the MTroniks Sonik4 RV Max (8-turn limit) ESC. The main reason I purchased it was that it is completely waterproof. The main reason I don't have one anymore is that it kept catching on fire.

No comments: