Monday, May 18, 2009

Baja Pede - Bodywork on the Cheap

Baja Pede - Bodywork on the Cheap

Yet another crazy on the cheap project from Project Stampede.

I was cruising thorough Lowes the other day and this half sized black plastic paint tray caught my eye. $1.49 I think it was, hey why not right. Should be a perfect basher body, it measure 1-2 mil thick and is about 1-2 inches wider than a stock body, but can sit really low. Should be pretty durable. Trim it
fit and it looks kind of military jeep ish. Throw on some spare decals and I have a brand new body to break.

One of the other things I did nix the rear body support and mounted ala Rusty style right to the shock tower body mount, except I ground off the normal mount and screwed in a 1/2" body mount stud to clear the shocks. The front I also went with a front Rusty body mount with low trimmed body posts. The stock body also still fits other the than the need for an extra hole for the new center mount.

Gotta say this was the easiest project I have ever done and probably one of the cheapest, No hot forming was done, just trimmed the tray and attached it.

Weight? - About the same as the stock body, maybe a little heavier.
Fit? - Yeah it just fit great like someone at the paint tray manufacturer said, well we should also make it fit a Traxxas Stampede.

Very... very long term update - This body STILL survives today in 2008. Although I now have a stable of RCs that distribute the driving abuse more fairly, the Ultra-Pede still gets driven hard and I do have a spare paint tray for the day this body finally gives out.

The Paint Tray Baja Body idea is been prolific to say the least and I think JaalMann.com's below Paint Tray version is one of the coolest looking.

No comments: