Monday, May 18, 2009

Advanced Waterproofing - Mili-Pede Buggy - Part 1

Advanced Waterproofing - Mili-Pede Buggy - Part 1

Nebraska winters are tough to predict and bounce continually between 70 and -10 on a weekly basis with snow, rain, and slush, so I needed a truck equipped so that I wouldn't be prevented from enjoying a little run time.

MiliPede1.jpg (219942 bytes) MiliPede2.jpg (175056 bytes) PCDV0004.JPG (765379 bytes)

PCDV0003.JPG (866520 bytes) PCDV0006.JPG (827295 bytes) PCDV0005.JPG (705807 bytes) PCDV0001.JPG (880811 bytes)

The are a thousand and one ways to waterproof your Pede, but I think I have stumbled on the best method.

After going to great extremes to water proof my receiver, servo, and ESC, I was still faced with one very big problem. The chassis is like a big scoop and you will inevitably end up with water on or in something if you don't prevent water and snow from initially getting into the chassis.

I have a long hobby history in forming plastics and one of the all time easiest plastics to mess around with and form is black ABS with the crinkly finish on one side. You can pick up a full sheet at almost any Plastics retailer. You can buy small pieces of it for $5 at most car stereo shops. Bake it, torch it, whatever you need. Bake at 350 - 15 minutes until floppy like spaghetti, or use a propane torch (on low) to heat and bend it, or use a old soldering iron to weld the seams. As you find there is a fine line between really hot and moldable and on fire. Just play around with it you will get the hang of it.

As you can see I made a three piece custom snap fit cover for the entire chassis. I have even hosed the Stampede down after a mudding adventure.

It turned out so good that I nicknamed it the Mili-Pede (Military-Pede). The design also allow me to fit the body over the top if I want (doing so adds some extra protection.

I though this was cool enough for a Traxxas decal. and a custom made spoiler. At some point I will scan in the paper templates that I used for the nose cone and body cover, in case anyone wants to give it a try. I really get some of those "What the hell is that!" looks and always lots of questions. I have tested this extensively and the full length cover gives some room for the ESC to breath. Also when its 20 degrees, overheating is not a problem. I will be making a modified "Summer" version with ram-air scoops for the ESC.

No comments: