Monday, May 18, 2009

Lubrication Made Easy

Lubrication Made Easy - I have been trying different lubricants (keep you mind out of the gutter), with the purpose of finding better motor and chassis lubes that 3N1 oil. Here is what I have found so far.

Tranny - There are a lot of things you can use to keep your Stampede running smoothly. I use White Lightening wax lube for the transmission.
Chassis - Two products I really like are Sentry Solutions Tuff-Glide and White Lightening Wax based bike chain lube. Both dry completely after application and prevent rust and corrosion. The Sentry Solutions was developed for the Navy Seal teams firearms and equipment. The nice thing is that because it dries and bonds at a molecular level with the metal, it does not have a flash point, thereby will not catch on fire and unlikely to cause carbon deposits if used on the motor. The White Lightening is great because it won't attract dirt, is waterproof, self-cleaning, and just as slick as grease even when dry. Also no oily mess. So.. start thinking about all those places that collect dirt or need waterproofing. I soak down the top of my servo and all my tranny seams with a couple of layers of White Lightening and presto its waterproofed. I hit my entire chassis joints and all I have needed to do is apply more whenever it needs it. No more cleaning. If the Stampede gets muddy. Everything is waterproofed so, I just hose it down with the kitchen sink sprayer, let it dry and I am ready to go. Couldn't be simpler.
Motor - The best thing I have found is Turbine oil. I found it at Ace hardware next to the 3N1 oil. Again its wax based, and is actually designed specifically for electrical motors, bushing, and bearings, and is designed for high heat environments. The best part its $2. Oddly enough it does not have a name at all, I could find on it was ZipSpout. Clear container with weird looking spout.

No comments: