Monday, May 18, 2009

Custom Cut Stock Tires

Custom Cut Stock Tires -

I probably want's the first to do this, but since it has become a classic mod that I have been credited for.

Custom_Cut_Stock_Tires.jpg (251879 bytes)If you have a Dremal tool with an appropriate cut off wheel and a 1/8" thick coarse disk grinder bit this a no cost upgrade. One thing that really drove me nuts about the Stock Stampede Tires was that they really allowed for sideways sliding and 180s during turns way to easily. Following my upgrade philosophy above, I just couldn't upgrade to those Pro-Line Masher 2000 until the Stock tires had at least seen some good wear. What I did was copy the a similar tread pattern by cutting the tread with the Dremal cut of bit and them widening the outer cuts to 1/8" using the grinder bit. The results were amazing. After cutting the tires, the Stampede actually turns and corners without executing a side slide or a 180. After a couple of months of testing the custom cut tires on everything from road, grass, snow, dirt, and rock, I can say this was an outstanding upgrade. Masher 2000 ($36 for 4 tires) are still considerable better, however this will get you 70%-80% there, add a tougher look to your ride, and allow you to drop that same $36 dollars on something really cool, say... a new motor.

No comments: