Monday, May 18, 2009

Basic Waterproofing

Basic Waterproofing

Buy White Lightning Wax Lube use it on everything; chassis, axels, gears, over the top of the servo, trannySealing_the_Servo.jpg (152123 bytes) housing, but not the receiver or esc. Its oil-less, does not attract dirt, dries, and is waterproof. During the winter or wet weather, my Stampede looks like I dipped it in the stuff. It waterproofs everything it covers. Also my Stampede lube of choice for everything except motor and bearings - that I use a wax based turbine oil.

Receiver in a bag/balloon trick - A longer term solution is to slowly cut a heavy duty zip lock freezer bag with a hot knife (soldering iron with a Exacto tip) to make a water-tight mini zip lock bag. After wrapping the receiver in the custom zip lock, and taping, I slide that into a section of mountain bike inner tube. This makes a much more substantial cover than a balloon.

Pcdv0017.jpg (220099 bytes)

ESC Water Proofing - Several Options

Option 1 - Laundry detergent cup - you get the idea.

Water_proofing_ESC_Simple.jpg (224919 bytes)

Option II - A more elegant solution by Belker from the monster.traxxas.com forums.

Credit where credit is due.

"Here's a better way to waterproof ESC - Belker from the monster.traxxas.com forums.

For the last year I've waterproofed my ESC (Futaba MC330CR) by enclosing it the plastic box (modified, of course) that it came in. Balloons never worked very well for me. I now found a better box to modify.

Radio Shack 270-1801 Project Enclosure 3"x2"x1"

This box would be too small for the stock Traxxas ESC but works excellent for a tiny ESC like the Futaba. Bigger boxes are available. I've never had any problem with my particular ESC overheating so a box this small is big enough.

What makes is box nice is that it is -

- almost identical in width (3") to the Stampede chassis,
- just short enough (2") to leave enough clearance to (a) reach the screws to remove the back part of the truck and (b) still be able to insert/remove a battery,
- high enough (1") to accommodate my ESC
- has a cover that is easily removable for hot, dry weather
- has a flange/lip on the cover to aid in making it watertight
- is black and plastic and looks practically stock

I drilled holes in the bottom of the box to mount it in the stock ESC plate location using the stock screws. I mounted the esc using double sided tape. I drilled a hole in the front for the battery, receiver, and switch wires to exit. I drilled a hole in the back for the motor wires to exit. I also made a gasket to make the lid flange more watertight and used silicon to seal the screw holes and wire holes.

Here it is -"

Option III - Although I have not tested this idea, it seems absolutely the best way to go. Someone posted this idea on the Traxxas Forums (sorry couldn't find the post for the credit)

This option entails using the 3M DP-270 Conformal Epoxy to basically encase the electronics (yes, supposedly if you do it right you can still put everything back into the receiver or ESC case). This is a special epoxy which is designed specially for use with electronics. DO NOT USE REGULAR EPOXY - Due to the very caustic nature of the regular hardware store variety epoxies, there is a very high probability that you will corrode and damage your electronics during the application and curing process. So make sure you use the right stuff otherwise bad things will happen.

I am sure the 3M DP-270 Conformal Epoxy is available lots of places but instructions on how to are here. You can buy it here (page down a little)

I have been told that this "can" be a waterproofing method for receivers and ESCs. As I will be purchasing an MTroniks waterproof ESC I will probably be applying this only to my receiver prior to next winter.

Option III - Mtroniks Waterproof ESC. Have one works great. Would recommend to anyone who likes to get wet.

No comments: