Monday, November 1, 2010

RWDP Weapons delivery platform

RWDP - UGVIMGP9436.JPG (2633069 bytes)
By Tony Arnold - StampedeProject.com

Well guys, its time to blow shit up again this year. Previously I sacrificed my Ultra-Pede with three totally burnt to hell bodies. I guess that's what you get when you use it to launch 2" mortars and duct tape roman candles to the back of it all rigged to a third channel servo arm or electric trigger switch like my Squirt Pede back many years ago.

http://stampedeproject.com/Traxxas_S...%20Squirt-Pede


This year I decided to go much bigger to promote stability and increase payload. Here's the run down.

I will be using my behemoth to end all brushless behemoths... the Brushless 6S Hot Bodies GTX2 loaded with the largest most powerful Neumotor available for RC use, the 1527, powered by a 6S MaxAmps packs and a Castle Creations Pheonix 110 ESC. In this configuration it will wheely at any speed, 360 flip at anything less than 30MPH, and rip sod out will all 4 tires. It's stupid crazy to drive... the only RC that has actually scared me to drive... just too freaking big, and torquey, and too freaking fast.







Here is my build
http://stampedeproject.com/Hot-Bodie...ess/index.html


So I have the "you are stupid nuts Tony" platform, next up were weapons choices. Here is what I am planning.


Huge aluminum armored top deck

Full Auto MP5 Airsoft - rear stock
A couple 5" mini-Rockets
Pyro motar pod
Flamethrower + Denatured Alchohol (See below pic)

At ihobby 2007 a company (now aparently out of business) made the Predator RC Paintball gun attachement for Revo and Emaxxes. He had some good ideas that I can springboard off of.




I got really really close to having the RWDP finished for the 4th of July, but ended up fab'ing a motor the night of with friend for my brushless 5S Losi Mega Baja and lighting stuff with a great cigar instead.

IMGP9432.JPG (2564654 bytes)

IMGP9436.JPG (2633069 bytes)IMGP9437.JPG (1690788 bytes)IMGP9438.JPG (2196122 bytes)IMGP9439.JPG (1867634 bytes)IMGP9440.JPG (2848079 bytes)IMGP9441.JPG (2658532 bytes)IMGP9442.JPG (2659437 bytes)IMGP9430.JPG (2967105 bytes)IMGP9431.JPG (2539008 bytes)

I just had a bucketful of issues in getting this done for an impressive July 4th debut:

All the power (+) switches ground when they are off and create a ground loop for all the other powered switches. Feedback or the wrong switch sequence causes all the weapons to fire simultaneously when you arm the system [BOOM]. Still have some wiring work to do.

The suspension needs new much stiffer springs to handle the weight of the loaded weapons body. Not crazy heavy, but the extra 5 Lbs on the already heavy 17-20lb chassis needs some spring help.

Since the Castle 110 Phoenix ESC and Offshore Racing Pistic (pistol controller converter) was a little too exciting to drive, I decided to use either the new Tekin RX8 or an old Castle Mamba Max for a controller... but I never got far enough the week of the 4th to install it.

The RX was and old FM unit that needed an upgrade to a Spectrum unit. The Spectrum RX unit ended up driving the default Losi Mega Baja but will get switched over into the RWDP.

Both Steering servos are toast... or at least one, but the one working servo sure as hell isn't going to turn the wheels with all that weight. I am going to upgrade to a 1/4 scale high torque servo.

The MP5 fires, but nothing comes out... guessing it needs to be pulled and un-jammed... more problems.

In the end just in the nick of time some friends showed up the evening of the 4th and they helped fabricate a mount/body for a previously welded 2"X2"X8" steel mortar all fitted for my old reliable Losi Mega Baja. Not that I am recommending this, but we were firing off dual 2" mortars with this thing and used it to get fast fused pyrotechnics away from us in a hurry. Still a good time, but a 14" flamethrower would have been cool.

-----------------

Updates to follow.

No comments: