Monday, November 1, 2010

FLM SPV2 Hard Case Custom Hard Tail Crawler

FLM SPV2 Hard Case
Custom Hard Tail Crawler
By Tony Arnold - StampedeProject.com

Yet another "what the hell can I build with crap I have laying around project". After many years, I have seemed to amassed a huge pile of parts that could make some very cool RC's with a little creativity and effort.

In this case I scrounged around the corners of my basement and garage and ended up with enough parts to net a $0 cost build and something truly unique and in this case a Hard Tail crawler. I really haven't seen many hard tail crawlers out there... in fact I don't recall seeing any.

Functionally I'll have to wait and see how it performs, but from an "in theory" perspective, it's a sound idea. No rear shocks, therefore no chassis torque twist and with the LOOOONNG Wheelie King shocks up front in full droop, I still get about a wheel height's of articulation which is about perfect.

In a more perfect world I would have used an Axial Transmission as well, because it's more compact and already locked. The M'Troniks ESC is one of the worst pieces of crap I have used. My experience with M'Troniks has been disappointing before, but this piece of garbage confirms that M'Troniks ESCs are just junk. A Tekin FXR or Castle Sidewinder or even a stock Axial ESC would be better choices, but then again, I didn't have one to spare for this project.

Here is the parts list:

HPI Wheely King Axles and Front Shocks
RCP High Clearance Knuckles with CVDs
EMaxx/Revo Pushrods for Steering and Rear Lock out Links
FLM Extended Stampede Black Link as the Servo Steering Link
RC-Guy.com Servo Mount
Tower Hobbies MG Servo
FLM SPV2 Chassis with the nose bent inward to meet with a FLM SPV2 55mm spacer
Axial Front Aluminum Links, plastic Upper Links, Driveshafts, and Transmission Plate
Axial Links for rear lock out
Axial Rear Red Billet Links
Heavily modified Traxxas Stampede Trasmission with locked Diff
Proline Beadlocks and M3 Masher 2000 Tires
M'Troniks ECO20 - FYI this ESC sucks!
Axiom 85T motor
Kyosho RX
Scrape Lexan for all the body panels prayed black with Scotch Extreme Duct Tape Applied on the exterior.

I do need to shorten the front links since I am measuring in at 13".



This crawler works great...no torque twist and crawls just fine. Gotta say the performance of this thing makes me rethink 4-shocks on a crawler... two shocks work just fine. I also am really quite happy with all the parts I used up on this crawler.

No comments: