Saturday, November 1, 2008

Returning to the Stampede once again.




As I toke a deep breath with some life decisions, some of us may have reached for comfort food, headed to the field for a hunt in the peace to clear the mind, or sat in the silence of a quite room reading a book that was once so enjoyable. For me that comfort came by pulling out my FLM Stampede and giving it a whirl, but that overly hyper, tweaked battle ready machine didn't quite do it, so I headed to the hobby shop to pick up a bone stock Stampede to fill the void of lots of wheelie action some fun oversteer and that lovable go anywhere bumpety jeep like ride from the short wheelbase that makes you know that this is an RC that was built for one thing - FUN!

I have to admit, I have been remiss in my duties as the legendary namesake of StampedeProject.com... how could I have missed doing a review of the pinnacle of Traxxas Stampede'ism the Stampede VXL brushless kit complete with 2.4 Ghz transmitter, battery, and charger.



Yes I may have strayed, but now I have returned to face one of the most perfectly upgraded Stampede's ever. Yes it has all the adjustable links, full bearings, good tires, brushless power, a body from this decade, beefed up tranny gears, upgraded shocks, tougher materials, 2.4 Ghz transmitter, high torque servo, and everything is completely waterproof. This is it, this is what we ALL wanted back in 2005, but then again, there really wouldn't have been a StampedeProject if the Stampede would have been this good right out of the box.

Honestly, I just walked in and said give me one of those and walked out not really remembering what was in the box already. It was funny as I headed home with my latest purchase I started running through my head all the upgrades I would probably have to do right away, but I was STUNNED when I opened up the box and it was all there with the basic instructions of charge this and go play. Wow, Ready-to-Run RC have come a long long way in only 5-6 years.

The perfect RC for just bumping around and enjoying the old familiar chassis.

I did have a cave man moment when I looked at the battery and connectors. Mhmmm, what this battery looking thingy with 7 cells, looks like cave man technology that I have not seem since man who makes fire last returned. Me apparently old cave man and me no also understand Traxxas high current connector thingy. Hmmm that Traxxas battery thingy no fit my Deans battery pluggy thingy and mush be converted to Deans. Look like good connector, but not compatable with 30 some odd existing packs, clip clip, solder solder. Problem solved.

Back in the present day I also noted 8 out of 10 of my lipo packs did not fit the battery tray, errr can you say cordless Dremel. Once I get the battery fitment issue worked out the Stampede VXL will be the perfect off the shelf RC... yeah I can't leave anything stock
maybe there is something like comfort RCs. :)























YouTube Video

No comments: